Baghali Polow ba Mahiche is widely considered one of the most well-known dishes in Iran, with this dish usually being served served at celebrations such as weddings. The blend of rice with dills and beans is named Baghali Polow, along with is named Mahiche. Both of these parts served collectively create a searchable taste.
Nowadays it’s a regular dish among families, but nevertheless served and treated as a king’s meals.
With this specific recipe I propose utilising lamb, however you can use ribs or neck instead of shanks based on your taste. The issue that is most important is that the meat should have bones onto it. Yes! It does have an effect on the meat’s taste. Also, I suggest using new beans since it actually counts for having a rice that is fresh and delicious.
- 500 Grams of lamb shanks, or a lamb shank for every individual
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 2 Cups long grain rice (Basmati rice)
- 200 Grams wide legumes
- 1 Cup chopped dill, fresh or dried
- 1/4 Teaspoons ground saffron dissolved to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1 Teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon of salt (such as your own beef )
- two Tablespoons salt (for the rice)
- vegetable oil
- In a big bowl rice several times until the water runs clean. Fill add 2 tablespoon of salt and bowl with lukewarm water again. Allow rice to boil for approximately 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pot over moderate heat and saute the chopped onions till tender.
- Add the lamb shanks to the pot and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric to the pot and combine well.
- Add 3 tbsp saffron water. Keep a number of the saffron for rice.
- Pour 4 cups of water over the lamb shanks or sufficient water to cover half of the depth of the pot.
- Meanwhile, till half of its depth add water in a different pot and bring it to a boil. Add the beans and let it boil for some seconds only.
- Drain the rice and add it into boiling water. After 5-7 minutes of boiling test to see whether the rice is ready. Rice tender on the outside and should be hard in the center. Also another way if it’s ready to drain to find out is that you will observe.
- Drain the rice using a colander and add dills into mix and the rice. Be careful to not break the rice grains.
- Return the pot and heat 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Set the rice and herb mix from the bud in a pyramid shape.
- Add some butter or vegetable oil and 4 tablespoon of water .
- Allow it to steam for 45 minutes.
- Using a fork test when the lamb shanks are tender and cooked. If it’s cooked but the sauce remains rancid, remove the lid and allow it to boil to decrease the water. If it’s too dry adjust water and allow it to cook some minutes.
- When rice is ready, take a couple and then into a mixing bowl. Add the saffron mixture to it and give it a mix.
- Spoon the rice onto a serving dish, top it with saffron rice and set the lamb shanks with a few fresh lime with it. Drink the meat sauce in another bowl or just pour it over the rice and meat.